Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Annelie's running the London Marathon in aid of CF!!!!

So my overly-energetic aunt got in for the London Marathon, and is running it for CF!!! She is trying to raise 2000 pounds (can't find the GBP symbol!) this time!!! Please visit her page at http://www.justgiving.com/anneliewhitfield ....

So today is the day I REALLY woke up and got off the ventilator... 5 days after the op. Can't believe I was under for that long! Have to add though that I think they sedated me for longer because I kept on trying to pull stuff out of me and was very restless... anyway... it's strange to think it was only a year ago, as so much has happened. And yet it also feels like just the other day. On the 28th, the Monday, they took me outside for the first time, wheelchair, drainage tubes, drips and all. BUT without Oxygen. It was very strange for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I was WITHOUT O2. I did sometimes go without it for short periods of time, but at sea level only, not at such a high altitude. So that was wierd. Also, I've never really experienced a Joburg summer before, and the air had that sunny humidness before a thunderstorm, that I've become to know pretty well by now. Since it's obviously the same weather conditions now, I often walk to the shops during lunch-time and experience that same humidity (which in itself is strange for JHB, where the air is usually dry), and it takes me right back to that afternoon in Milpark Hosp's little garden court-thingy.

Work's been busy this week, not much to report. Rib pain better. Bruises still look disgusting. Chris and I are having coffee with an old Varsity friend of mine and his fiance (who I haven't met)... should be interesting. Going to their wedding in April. Have to go finish supper now though, so bye!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Just stopping by to say hi....love the new page look!!

Sarah said...

Isn't it amazing the difference a year makes, especially when it's for the good?
Please tell your aunt good luck for me.

Annelie said...

Sarah thanks for the good wishes, I am going to need all the luck and sponsors to run a good marathon!!

Like your new blog, Alice.

Annelie xx

Jac said...

it's so amazing how far you have come!! That post made me smile :-)

and well done to your aunt!!

Annelie said...

Jac, thank-you so much for your donation, hope to see you at the Marathon!!!!

Annelie

LouMS said...

Nice to hear your bruises are healing. -L

Annelie said...

Lou, thank-you very much for your sponsor towards the London Marathon!!!!

Annelie