Thursday, November 12, 2009

Happenings

Wow can’t believe last time I blogged was Sat, feels like yesterday. What can I report on? Chris and I finished house-sitting on Tuesday evening, and seems like he has a bit of a cold/allergies, so I’m kind of staying away from him for now. Wednesday morning I went to Maryke’s funeral. It was incredibly sad and moving. I also realize that had I had to wait for lungs as long as she did, I also wouldn’t have made it. We’re the same bloodgroup, and almost the same size, so if I was put on the list later I most likely also wouldn’t have gotten lungs. It was just my luck that I was sicker earlier, got listed earlier, and got the perfect sized O positive lungies, cos there weren’t another pair on their way…

Last night I did another talk in a Jewish community centre, where the Rabbi was also present to answer questions. The big issue in the Jewish faith with organ donation is the concept of brain death. They believe as long as a heart is still beating, even though the person doesn’t breathe anymore. So the perfect compromise would be waiting for the donor’s heart to stop and immediately remove the organs, although I’m sure that has its own complications. It was an interesting evening, just badly attended unfortunately!

Tonight I’ll be visiting Louis, he’s really doing fantastically! Jolandi is home, and will be seeing her on Sat! So glad they’re doing good. I’ve also got my company’s Year End Function on Sat evening, which should be fun! Will post pics!

Please pray for Eve (mentioned her a few posts ago), as she’s in hosp, and urgently needs new lungs again.

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. My heart goes out to all of you.

Another thing, I didn't know organ donation was such a big issue in the Jewish community. How interesting! I'll have to read up on that some more!