Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 - not a year I ever want to repeat

This was my 2016 "resolutions" post... The year WAS different... little did I know that 20 days later would be my last day at work, and 23 days later I would be in ICU with 2 collapsed lungs. Not working has been good for my health in terms of staying stable. Started using O2 at home when I was discharged, and can't cope without it anymore unless I'm sitting absolutely still (and even then heart rate is too high to feel comfortable). Lung function dropped with roughly 8-10% during the year, but it would have been much worse had I not been looking after myself as a full-time job. In many ways I am having deja vu to this time in 2007, but it's also very very different. My ONLY resolution for 2017 is to survive it. Back then I had this quote up on my bedroom wall, and it's ringing true just as much now.


2016 Had some very good and very bad times. Highlights were Ditha's wedding in May, holiday with family over Easter and Anna and Casey's visit. Unfortunately I also lost a few friends (see recent blog posts) and the year was just emotionally rough in general.

Christmas was very nice. Family time is always good. Really really missing beach-summers... where you swim in the sea and tan on the beach (not that I'm allowed to "tan" anymore), Would give anything for a good swim in the sea right now (not with current lungs obviously, would drown!). Had some weird dreams last night where I was on a kayak in the ocean, and running/hiking etc... Only to wake up and realise that none of those things will be happening anytime soon and neither are they physically possible. I know things could be worse (they can ALWAYS be worse) and I've been lucky that my rejection has been as slow as it has, but I'm really tired of dealing with it and the consequences for the last almost 4 years now. But back to Christmas... below are some pics...




I've also been working on some crochet stuff for the new addition to the family that's due at the beginning of April... something different! We're all so excited to meet the little one in 2017, and he/she is already so spoiled.



Looking forward to Jan, lots of stuff happening and keen to get the year started. Have a great end to 2016 xxx

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are always in my thoughts and prayers, Alice. Stay strong. You are amazing and I have soooo much respect and admiration for you!!

Alice said...

Thank you so much xxx