Monday, December 5, 2016

Very exciting stuff and some more sadness

So much has been happening that I can't even keep up with all of it on the blog! Firstly, my sister is 22 weeks pregnant and I'm going to be an aunt! Soooooooo very excited for 2017. Also, our lounge has finally been redone by my talented friend Andrew!!! Check out the amazing transformation on his blog! Purposefully not posting any pics here so you have to go and look on his blog if you want to see :-)


Had a great weekend... on Sat I had lunch with one of my best friends of all time, and in the evening we had supper at Andrew's house. I haven't had such a good time in a while, very nice to just relax with friends, great food, drinks and laughter. Can't remember when last I got to to bed after midnight! On Sunday we had my parents and sis and Pierre over for a braai to unveil the new lounge, so that was great too.



In general I've just been more tired after the last hospital admission I had in October and a bit more short of breath which is frustrating. I need to limit what I do in a day or schedule a rest day after a "busy" day. Friday was one of those days where I just had to do nothing because I was EXHAUSTED after the week. The day of chilling at home just watching TV and not much else helped a lot, as Sat I was ready for activity again. It's a balancing act, because I need to stay as active as possible and do normal things, but my lungs get tired so easily that I need to cater for them too. So selfish :-p


The sad news is that Kirstie Tancock passed away on the first of December... I blogged about her just the other day... less than a month ago in fact :-( She was such a hero in the transplant and CF communities for surviving two double lung transplants and her physical strength that she exhibited through her pole dancing. She was made "famous" by a documentary on her called "Love on the transplant list" and I've blogged about her a few times before. Here are a few links to articles published following her death.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2016-12-01/kirstie-tancock-an-extraordinary-life-remembered/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-38168972

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3989472/Pole-dancing-teacher-cystic-fibrosis-endured-two-double-lung-transplants-dies-27-just-days-writing-heartbreaking-bucket-list-never-fulfil.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/double-lung-transplant-survivor-kirstie-9370804?ICID=FB_mirror_main

RIP Kirstie


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alice, so sorry for the loss of your friends Kirstie and Odi. I will keep their families in my prayers.

Exciting news that you will be an aunt in the near future! I am happy for your sister and her husband. It will be fun to anticipate his/her arrival!

life is full of ups and downs, good news/bad news, as you well know. But God is in control, and that gives us hope.

Love, Sherry

Alice said...

Thanks Sherry!